Originally Posted By: Dignan
The last time I was there, I used my wife's iPhone with the "Remote" app, and was able to completely control the AppleTV from two floors up. Very cool. Sadly, there isn't any such product for Android.

Actually, come to think of it I believe there are one or two apps for controlling iTunes. Sorry to mislead. Nothing for AppleTV yet, though.

I assume you've already bumped into the Android DACP client. It's open-source and all that, and appears roughly equivalent to Apple's Remote app. I've been pondering a jump from my iPhone to Android, given the potential coolness of the new Googlephone, and this was one of the required features for me.

So far as I can tell, about the only things I'd find missing about moving from an iPhone to an Android are:

- no "mobi" pocket book reader (versus the Kindle app on my iPhone, which keeps everything in sync with my Kindle, although there's no way to load a mobi file outside of something you buy, or get free, from Amazon.com)

- no support, yet, for Apple Lossless (or, what I'd really prefer, real-time transcoding to MP3 when loading onto the phone)

- no support for Apple DRM (although I've only got a small handful of DRMed audio files, any video you buy from the iTunes Store is going to be DRMed, which I mostly use for TV shows that I missed for whatever reason)

If the ultimate Googlephone is sufficiently "open" that you can build a complete system image and reflash your phone, than a lot of this could be easily fixed.