Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Axing Leno's show and not giving him a new one would set everything straight again.

Yeah, true. I meant things that are going to happen, though. I feel pretty certain that all of this is being driven by NBC brass, and if they haven't given up by now with all the backlash, they aren't going to.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Leno is just unfunny.

I'd argue that Leno in the context of The Tonight Show is unfunny. He really was a great standup back in the 80s. Part of the problem is that he insisted on having a very small writing staff on the show, and he very much geared his performance at the show's older audience, which frequently made him come off as very reactionary. When he's being Jay, as opposed to being the host of The Tonight Show, he becomes much funnier. Honestly, I never felt like he settled into the show. It always felt like he was guest-hosting for Carson for 17 years. I think he had a concept of what the show was, and it was never him.

That said, and I know I'm a dork for saying this, I think the Headlines segment is hilarious.

Edited by wfaulk (19/01/2010 20:09)