Originally Posted By: wfaulk
There have been a large number of remote Windows exploits. If you add "behind a firewall" to that list, then maybe.

One of the Windows machines I mention is actually a web server open to the internet, and it actually offers more services and therefore open ports than just the 80. Of course it is also behind a firewall that only allows access to designated ports.
In any case, it is not a maybe, it's a fact. smile

I am not - and was not - showing off smile. I think it is perfectly normal, as others said. My point was instead that saying that Windows/OSX/Linux machines are "unsafe" or "unrealiable", or that IE/Firefox/Safari is, or that Outlook is, are simply extremely generic statements, generic to the point that they have very little meaning in reality. The ones above are all mature products, and they are all beyond the stage where you can simply say "that's bad, this is good".

One may point out weaknesses and stregths of the above software; one may discuss on versions, updates, speed to release updates, user behavior, plug-ins, popularity, amount of known bugs and hypotetical unknown ones, methods to estimates them, the good and the bad of open and closed source, and what not. Similarly, the fact that I or Bruno were virus-free for 15 years without an antivirus also does not prove anything accurate in terms of "safety", as one may argue that this or that piece of software is or is not properly designed to remain safe in the hands of the average user rather than the enthusiast or the professional, discuss ad infinitum on who "average" users actually are, and what not...
To simply find out that all those elements create a more complex reality that the one depicted by the "This is bad, that is good" approach. On the contrary, those elements will make this or that product change its safety/security position versus competitors depending on time, type of user base, version, design features, etc. I think the rest is just "religion war".

As a side note, guys, to me no matter how perfect a logo is, how credible and clever the wording is, an email asking me to reply with my password(s) is just phishing. I delete it without even thinking; I have just no doubt. But, I know extremely well educated and brilliant academic professionals who simply plainly believe what they read and give out their personal data and credit card number! While I find it more and more shocking as the internet becomes part of the popular culture and everyone's daily life, it still just happens, _regularly_. This alone tells a lot in terms of psychology or human beings, where they put their trust; it also makes NO software really "safe" unless you stop allowing software to run on it, just like no car really is unless you stop driving it; and of course this will always penalize the most popular software versus the most elithist for the simple reason that the most popular will be used by the brilliant professionals who really believe their bank needs their passwords and PINs and CC# in an email message.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg