Originally Posted By: peter
All your "point sources" on the far shore of the lake are identical little triangles. I'm pretty sure that means something moved. Tiptoe more -- 16in of concrete is little help if it's on a "bouncy" substrate such as clay.

You are right! Good catch! I am quite confident that the deck did not move (steel-reinforced concrete pillars sunk five meters into very rocky ground), but at that time of night there are frequently wind gusts severe enough for my Sunsetter awnings to automatically retract. They didn't on that night, but there may have been breezes enough to vibrate my somewhat flimsy tripod.

Originally Posted By: peter
The edits in the foreground (near shore) are better in #3 than in #2 or #1, but the one below the red (far-shore) light and the one below the central islet are still pretty brutish.

I know those were brutish edits, because I did them in a very ham-fisted manner. But as God is my witness, even though I know exactly where every edit was made (they were done to cover up distractingly bright lights in the foreground) I cannot see a single one of them on my monitor so I figured they were OK. Now, my monitor is nothing great, an Acer 22" LCD that I bought from Tiger Direct for about $200. And during the day (as I write this, and as I made the edits) I have a lot of bright ambient light I can do nothing about that may be obscuring some of my sins. Obscuring to me, that is, but not to you sharp-eyed devils! smile

So, I am attaching picture #4, uncropped, and unedited except for sticking the moon into it. You can see why I cropped and edited the previous versions. And, a tiny triumph for me, I bet none of you noticed where I edited out the antenna just to the right of the island in the first three pictures! And I think I have got the moon added in reasonably well although as in the other edits there may well be egregious flaws which I cannot see and am blissfully unaware of.

I really, truly appreciate these comments and criticisms. I have learned quite a bit here, enough to make my next attempt at this picture a great deal better.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Moon over Lake Chapala 4 unedited.jpg (133 downloads)