(Mainly a question for Mark, but opening the floor for comments as well.)

As I'm doing this XM radio thing, it occurs to me that it would be really handy to have a facility in Hijack to store and retrieve settings such as preset banks, the last channel that the receiver was tuned to, etc. When we talked about this a while back, the two approaches I remember being discussed were (a) stealing some unused bits from the player save area, and (b) a kernel call to actually write blocks of data somewhere on one of the disk partitions (maybe the hda3 dynamic data partition?) without actually mounting the disk.

I guess I'm wondering what the possibility of implementing either of these approaches in Hijack would be. Obviously, using the flash save area would only give a few nybbles here and there, not enough to do everything I'd like to do with this app, but better than nothing. Is the latter approach something that would take a lot of work? Does the player use the entire dynamic data partition, or is there an area that's unused that we could steal for blocks of app-specific data?