I think it's a little melodramatic to say that your empeg is obsolete!

The new model is essentially the same product. We had to make some changes to the main board because the current one is far too inconvenient to manufacture, what with many through hole components and complex wiring looms. Whilst we were about it, it made sense to act on suggestions from clients (as well as a few ideas of our own) and add in some extra features.

Why would our clients make hardware-related suggestions if it was not expected that we would produce new models?

If we were dropping support for the current model then I would say that you would have a right to be dissapointed (to say the least) - but we're not! The new model is the SAME product with a few enhancements, so if we add a new visual or user interface feature to one, the same code will run on the other.

Software updates will be released simultaneously for both revisions.

In any case, it's not accurate to say that the Mk 1 has been superseded within a couple of months. The product as you see it today was finalised in January, but a series of production difficulties delayed shipping to August. The new model has only just been finalised (we got a prototype just before Comdex and hand assembled it - no mean feat for a 99% surface mount board) and will start shipping around March.

Even the very final clients to purchase a Mk 1 will have about four months to enjoy it before anyone gets to own a Mk 2. I'm sure most of them will continue to enjoy their players for years to come!

I have to say, though, that this is the first time anyone ever complained that we shipped too soon :-)

Rob