Originally Posted By: wfaulk

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
dbpoweramp ripper...............$ 36...Much more polished and faster than EAC.
Faster than EAC because it doesn't use the secure ripping methods that EAC does. Which are largely not needed. There are any number of free CD ripping utilities for Linux. I'm not aware of any that support EAC's secure ripping methods, but I haven't looked in a while, either.

That isn't correct.

dbPowerAmp includes all the same secure ripping methods that EAC does. It also includes AccurateRip which was created by the guy behind dbPowerAmp (EAC also optionally uses AccurateRip).

AccurateRip is the key to fast and accurate ripping. When you have it setup correctly dbPowerAmp does its first rip with the fastest method, compares the rip against the AccurateRip database and if the rip matches then it doesn't need to worry about using the slow securing ripping methods.

EAC can also use AccurateRip, but the whole process is much more manual, the joy of dbPowerAmp is that it automates the while rip fast, check, rerip if needed iteration process.

dbPowerAmp also has access to much better meta data than I have seen in other rippers, it really does do a better job of getting the tags filled in right.

I believe there is one Linux ripper that uses AccurateRip, though I forget which one and if I remember correctly it took a more EAC approach than a dbPowerAmp one.