Originally Posted By: taym
Edit: Oops, no, forget it. XP Pro does not do mirroring IIRC. Win Server 2003 does, only. I don't have an XP box close by to check in this very moment, but I'll check as soon as I can.

Edit: Also, I am assuming the new disk is larger than the old one, which is not necessarily true with SSD... Is it?

My computer is Vista, not XP. The system C:> drive is the IDE drive, it is a small (by today's standards) 80 GB drive which I will replace with a 128 GB SSD.

Originally Posted By: Archeon
While it's true the problem doesn't arise with Vista and 7, this is only true IF you do the partitioning with said OS'es. But if you clone an older HD to SSD, and the older HD was not partitioned with Vista or 7 to begin with, the target drive, in this case the SSD, won't be aligned either. Vista or 7 will not magically align an unaligned partition if you used it with those OS'es, you'll need to do that manually.
All of the hard drives (six of them, 4 internal, two external, connected 4@ SATA, 1@ IDE, 1@ USB, 6.7 TB total) were formatted/partitioned with Vista. All disks are single-partition.

Originally Posted By: taym
I know you may not have enough sata ports, but just in case you do manage to temporarily free one:
how about simply adding the new disk, creating a mirror from the old one, then breaking the mirror and removing the old one for good? That's extremely easy with Windows Disk Manager.
No problem temporarily freeing a SATA port - one of my SATA ports is dedicated to an external eSATA dock so the mechanics of formatting and cloning the system drive are simple enough. It's the details of just how to do it that I am uncertain of. Can you explain that mirror trick in more detail?

tanstaafl.