I got as far as getting a file list off the empeg by taking control of the usb and serial console. Now I can automate the transfer of a file by locating the size from the file list and sending the right command through the serial port.

However...

The empeg -> PC transfer seems to work fine, providing your PC is fast enough. Without a program on the empeg to split the file into chunks and CRC them, I can't ensure the file is actually the same (In most cases it works fine, but I'd like confirmation. At least if you use a zip file you gain some CRC checking)
Direct PC -> empeg transfer seems to generate a file of the correct size, but it's full of junk... =(

As I see it, the choices are...

• Implement a packet protocol with checksum and retry, and use a program on the empeg to generate/receive the packets (Basically what the empeg software does)
  • Implement the PC side of the empeg protocol in object pascal and use the existing player software to do the packet and file manipulation.
  • Find a compatible USB PPP driver, and run TCP-IP
  • Find a kind soul who can compile emptool for win32, and use that to do the transfers
  • Other

So I'm stuck at the moment, as I know very little C++, and I'm unable to compile emptool or the protocol libs in C++ builder...

If anyone has any ideas it's probably a good idea to start a thread in Programming...

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)