Originally Posted By: hybrid8
There's a big market for integrated solutions, but I don't think we're in any danger of separates going away.

I am worried about integration, and the tech press seems to be all for it. At least two of the podcasts I listen two recently talked about integration, and the consensus has been "I don't want a bunch of boxes - just put it all in the TV."

This does NOT appeal to me. First of all, these people seem to be forgetting how long you hold on to your TV. I've had mine for four years now. How much has changed in the past four years? Hell, how much has changed in the last four months?

The next TV I purchase will be bought entirely for its video quality, and not one bit for whatever widgets or services they shove into it. I do not want that. Hell, I'm already pissed that my TV doesn't have removable speakers (the 70" version did, but 60" was as big as the wife would let me go smile ). I want a monitor. The TV is not the center of my home theater, the receiver is, and I'm happy to have everything plugged into that.

Besides, is it really that difficult to have separate devices? Now that I have a receiver with HDMI ports, it's blissfully simple to switch between inputs. All I have are three components anyway: Tivo, Boxee, and Bluray. I don't really need anything else.

What do you folks prefer? Integrated or not?