Originally Posted By: Roger
Originally Posted By: Dignan
First of all, these people seem to be forgetting how long you hold on to your TV.

I don't think they are. They want you to replace your TV more often.

I think you were mixing contexts. That statement was about the tech press, not the manufacturers. I have no doubt that these added features are little more than ways to entice consumers to more frequently upgrade their sets.

That high the manufacturers are chasing (the one they tasted from the HDTV boom) is becoming a problem for consumers. Fortunately, I don't think these companies are exerting nearly as much product movement as they'd like. I'm certain they thought that when they started making 3D TVs, they would sell as many sets as they did when people upgraded from SD to HD, but they grossly underestimated how compelling it would be to make that upgrade. Most people are now comfortable getting the new technologies when their natural upgrade cycle occurs.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I covered up the ugly speaker bar on my TV with the surround I mentioned (which is part of the decor I showed in a thread long ago).

Ugh, I can't do a thing about my hideous speakers. This is my TV. For some reason, they decided that not only would they make the speakers non-removable, they'd make them stick out even further (I guess to improve the virtual surround). I really just wish they weren't there at all, as they haven't been used for five minutes in the set's entire life.

Originally Posted By: JeffS
Though I DO appreciate the bedroom TV having speakers- but that's about it.

Oh, sure, I have no problem with built-in speakers if you aren't going to put the TV in a situation where there's a receiver and speakers. They're great for saving space in that case, and usually those are locations I don't care about having great sound, just "good enough" sound smile

I was a little surprised when I asked a local AV store employee how many people connect 50"+ sets to a receiver and speakers. He said about 50/50.