Originally Posted By: Roger
Originally Posted By: mlord
Do this instead: install Tomato firmware from the web GUI's Upgrade Firmware screen. Reboot the router and it will come up in Tomato mode. Normally, this is good enough, but Tomato doesn't have universal repeater functionality. So now, use the Web GUI again to install DD-WRT in a single-step.

Awesome. I was looking at installing either Tomato or DD-WRT on my WRT54GL -- I want proper local DNS (e.g. dnsmasq) w/o needing a full-blown server. I was put off by the seemingly insane amount of warnings on the DD-WRT site. I'll try your way instead.

Yeah, one can then just toggle back and forth between Tomato and DD-WRT using the web-gui Firmware Upgrade screens.

It is recommended to also use the web gui to wipe the flash "NVRAM" parameters before and/or after each back-and-forth switch, especially when DD-WRT is the new thing being installed. Tomato is less fussy.

And really you should consider Tomato if there's a version that runs on your router. It has a deceptively powerful AJAX GUI that makes it appear very simple, while still having just about all of the important features, including dnsmasq.

But no multiple-SSIDs, and no universal-repeater.

Cheers