Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
When the government controls the money, they can and will manipulate it to the destruction of the economy. This has been the case repeatedly throughout history, and it's the case here, too.

By and large, governments have controlled the money in the manner you're referring to (via a central monetary policy) only since the late 19th century. There are a few that predate that. The Sveriges Riksbank and the Bank of England, generally considered the first central monetary regulators in modern history, were established in 1668 and 1697, respectively. As far as I know, they're still running just fine. There was a serious period of hyperinflation in at least one period in medieval China that would tend to meet your expectations. I can't really come up with many central banks that have failed, but I'm totally willing to be wrong. I searched for that, but the only failures of well-established central banks I found were the ones of the former Central Power banks in the Interbellum, and there were significant external factors involved there.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is: can you show me some documentation of economic destruction as a result of central planning? Because I can't seem to find any.