Originally Posted By: drakino

That meant research into every person on the ballot, not just the two from the major parties. If I didn't like any of the choices, I didn't vote for a particular seat.

Gridlock is a natural and intentional part of our government, by design. It's how ideally it stays limited. However the current state of affairs is dire in that the basics aren't even being taken care of. Instead of gridlock over differences of opinion on new items, it's gridlock for gridlock sake to try and sway the next election. Congress is constantly campaigning, instead of doing their jobs. Due to also the above mentioned 2 party system, the extremists are in control of much these days, and they have helped turn words like moderation and compromise into dirty words. Same way Nixon's administration helped turn liberal into a dirty word.

Well, if prostitution can be blamed on global warming then I’ll blame the internet for gridlock.

As you mentioned you did a lot of research on the candidates and that scares the hell out of the politicians who are constantly campaigning. Before this www thing it was a lot more difficult to see a candidates voting record. Now it’s just a couple clicks away. Everything is easily accessed now and the politicians are scared to do anything that might piss anyone off. So they do nothing. Maybe we should adopt a truly democratic government and have everyone vote for everything on-line. We really don’t need politicians to represent our interests anymore.