Originally Posted By: Redrum
As you mentioned you did a lot of research on the candidates and that scares the hell out of the politicians who are constantly campaigning. Before this www thing it was a lot more difficult to see a candidates voting record. Now it’s just a couple clicks away. Everything is easily accessed now and the politicians are scared to do anything that might piss anyone off. So they do nothing.

They aren't scared of my vote either way. They are scared of pissing off the people lobbying to them. The internet is enabling some to be better informed, while also making it easier to misinform. The Tea Party is a great example of the power of the internet and modern media to misinform. It's not a grass roots moment as most think, it's a organized action by the cigarette lobbyists, and sadly it worked well. For every informed voter, there is likely a handful of misinformed voters, tricked by groups like the Tea Party. Same tricks that have gone on in the past, just much easier to spread and reach more people now.

Originally Posted By: Redrum
Maybe we should adopt a truly democratic government and have everyone vote for everything on-line. We really don’t need politicians to represent our interests anymore.

I don't agree with this, as a true democracy is quite dangerous. The checks and balances in the design of our system are done so to ensure the needs of the minorities aren't easily stomped out by the majority. I suppose if we replaced only the house with a direct democracy, we could preserve the checks, while making redundant the largest part of our elected officials.

One additional challenge that goes against some of the core beliefs of this country, how do you force proper democracy, of which would require the people to vote. We barley get 50% of the voting population out during the big presidential elections.