Originally Posted By: Archeon
I have no idea what XFree86 is, or what is does for that matter. But it's mere name to me inplies that it's meant for x86 CPU's, which the RPi doesn't have.

IIRC, it did get its name due to it being a port of X Windows to the x86 platform, but it's no longer restricted to running on the x86 platform.

Quote:
Also, a side question: how can I tell if certain software is already installed on the PI? Is there an easy way to do that? I'm guessing the Aptitude Package Manager does this, but it's text only and not very straightforward. (well, to me anyway)

Yes, aptitude will do what you're asking. When you start it up, it'll present you with a short (collapsed) tree. Expand/collapse entries in the tree using Enter. That's about all I know of it -- I use 'apt-get' and other command-line tools for everything else.

Quote:
Second question: if I end up not being able to compile this driver because XFree86 cannot be installed on the PI, this means I have to use a pre-compiled binary. Is such a file also present in de /Debian directory of the installation CD, or do I have to find this somewhere else?

You would have to find it somewhere else. You might want to google for this + RPi -- maybe someone else has already done this? You *might* be able to use one of the other pre-compiled binaries (those .sh files are shell scripts that contain uuencoded binaries), but it would be a total crap-shoot.

Originally Posted By: Archeon
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR

pushd and popd are built-in shell commands. They don't exist in "sh", but they do in "bash". So, my guess here is that you might try running the make stuff again in a bash shell. I know nothing about changing shells on an RPi, as I don't have one.

This is strange, because when I check what shell comes with the PI (echo $SHELL), it says /bin/bash. Maybe it's a "bash light"?

Oh -- brain fart on my part. make runs commands in /bin/sh. That's often a symlink to some other shell. For example, on my desktop:
Code:
$ ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2010-05-12 11:54 /bin/sh -> dash

More than likely, your /bin/sh is *not* pointing at bash. So, you can fix it by either changing that symlink (ln -fs bash /bin/sh) or by mucking with the makefile.