Originally Posted By: DWallach
I know ZFS has some special sauce for hybrid use of SSD and spinning hard drives. Has this sort of thing made it into any other filesystems yet? Among other vendors, I'm quite surprised that Apple, who ships a ton of SSD these days, is still using their ancient HFS+.

Correct. With ZFS, you can use an SSD for a ZIL (ZFS Intent Log) and SLOG.. AFAIK no other filesystem does this in the same manner. Maybe BTRFS? (which is about the only real competing filesystem, but not yet on the level of ZFS) I dunno. Sometimes there are proprietary methods like the cache drive in an UNRAID setup, but that has little to do with the filesystem (which in that case is just ReiserFS I believe)

Originally Posted By: andy
Apple so nearly moved to ZFS a while back, then chickened out at the last moment.

It's a real shame they did that. ZFS is about the most advanced file system currently out there. It cannot be used with most platforms because of licence issues, but Apple was in luck and would have had no problems (since OSX is also based on BSD). I can't understand why they didn't went through with this, because that would have given them a real edge. I'm guessing because Apple moved away from the server business mostly, but there's no way to know for sure.