Sorry, Tom, but I don't think the analogy works. If I see someone wrote "colour," and I'd never seen that spelling before, I'd probably know what they meant from the context, and if I thought it was an odd spelling I could research it. The difference is that the person who wrote it wrote "colour" and what I saw on my end was "colour." This is completely different than what I'm talking about.

Take a look at the attached image. Look at the third row of couplets and the fourth couplet in. In this case, I'd have to imagine that Google's interpretation is wrong. Based on the images around those seats, I assume the standard meant "airline seat," and perhaps the standard only said "seat." But if someone with an iPhone sent that emoji of an airline seat and the person on Android got a picture of what is basically a standard chair, then there's a loss of communication.

In the end, I realize that this is very pedantic, but even in the very little emoji usage that my wife and I have done, we've had times where we realize that each of us are seeing some different images. For most of them they're certainly close enough, but it still bothers me that we're reading different things and perhaps not communicating the way we intend. It's certainly made me give up on using emojis and sticking to plain text.

Attachments
iOSGoogleHangout4wtrmrk.png (5067 downloads)