Originally Posted By: Dignan
If I see someone wrote "colour," and I'd never seen that spelling before, I'd probably know what they meant from the context, and if I thought it was an odd spelling I could research it. The difference is that the person who wrote it wrote "colour" and what I saw on my end was "colour." This is completely different than what I'm talking about.

What about the two other examples of color I used? The connection I'm trying to draw here is that emoji is another language, one that is written only. When we speak it, everyone on the planet is translating a written language into their spoken language of choice. The "dictionary" of emoji is what the Unicode group produces. They don't produce a universal typeface for them, which could help early adoption if they did. Though going back to my other font example, we seem to get by with plenty of variances on the symbol/character A.

Quote:
Take a look at the attached image. Look at the third row of couplets and the fourth couplet in. In this case, I'd have to imagine that Google's interpretation is wrong. Based on the images around those seats, I assume the standard meant "airline seat," and perhaps the standard only said "seat."

Looks like that's U+1F4BA which is officially defined as this:
"SEAT - intended to denote a reserved or ticketed seat, as for an airplane, train, or theater"

Definitely see where the icons chosen between Apple and Google here would lead to confusion. Both also stray pretty far from the Unicode example. Until I looked it up, I hadn't ever made the connection to that representing a ticketed seat.