Originally Posted By: CanuckInOR
Why not just use some Z-clips?
I have a thin strip of aluminum that can be easily cut and shaped. I'll take 3" long pieces, bend them into an "L" shape, pop-rivet them to the hollow portion of the router's mounting feet, then screw the whole mess into the ceiling with anchor bolts.

Oughta work. Maybe. Presently I'm waiting for the downstairs neighbor to leave town later this week so I can make the changeover without interrupting her internet service.

Let's see... I've got the router, the aluminum strip, the anchor bolts, the ladder, the cordless drill and a 1/4" masonry bit. Hmmm, I need a 3-meter Ethernet cable, and about four feet of two-conductor wire to extend the power supply connector. Some goggles would be useful for when I'm drilling into the cement ceiling above my head.

I'm probably over-thinking this whole thing. Reminds me of when I was having some carpentry work done in my basement in Alaska, bare drywall, no finish work had been done. I wanted to reposition a light switch, so I took careful measurements, made up drawings, put marks on the walls, and started to explain to the carpenter in great detail what needed to be done. While listening to me explain, the carpenter whipped out his cordless sabre saw, cut around the light switch, took his hammer and knocked the switch box off the stud, cut a similar sized hole next to the stud at the new location, knocked the nail which was still dangling on the light switch box into the new stud, stuck the original piece of drywall around the light switch, put the second piece into the hole left from the original location, and said he'd sand and tape the two spots later.

What would have been a weekend project for me he did and finished before I could finish explaining what I wanted done. A bit humbling. The plumber I had working to install the new furnace told me: The difference between an apprentice and a journeyman is, the journeyman knows how to fix his mistakes.

tanstaafl.