Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
I found a much simpler way of sticking the router to the ceiling, one that will make most of you a bit crazy.

Hey, if it works, who cares? I don't think the router is going to suffer from a lack of that half inch square section of ventilation. Being on the ceiling is probably the more thermally challenging aspect, but there should be plenty of airflow around it!

Quote:
I got someone who knows more about networking than I (that would consist of a subset of about 90% of the total population) to configure the downstairs router. It's connected by Ethernet from one of my ports on the upstairs router, and that's about all I understand about it.

There's a few ways it could be set up, but again, if it works then it doesn't matter much. The problems that could arise from an improper configuration (like double NAT) might not even have any real world ramifications.

The only hesitation I'd have about that router is that it's only 802.11g, isn't it? We've gotten to the point where 802.11ac (two generations newer) is completely affordable. Are you able to stream video through that?

Edited by Dignan (28/11/2017 14:45)