Quote:
You're right: Apple hardware is sublime. It's just the limitations of the software that I have a problem with. You say it yourself: you'll miss Lastpass, because it cannot work as it should because of Apple's limitations. There are dozens of situations like this on the iPhone, and this is what is turning me off from it. Eg. I like how on Android, Sonos puts a nice controller on the home screen. This isn't possible on iPhone. Sure, there's one on the lockscreen now, but that's not the same thing.

That Lastpass thing is turning out to be one of the most challenging things to leave behind. I'm not sure if iOS users understand exactly how great it works on Android. It's sublime...when it works. I had lots of times when the window simply wouldn't appear to fill the data, and I'd have to go into the app manually anyway. It NEVER worked for my banking app, for example. Didn't know why.

Widgets...I honestly don't care. I stopped using widgets years ago. Even that Keep widget, frankly, wasn't that necessary, and it just added to the system's overhead and slowed things down. Maybe that's my imagination though.

Quote:
It's just more integrated on Android. That's my beef with Apple: their own stuff is incredibly integrated and it all works seamlessly with each other, but it's a very different story for third party apps. Some of the times, app creators have to be very inventive to get around Apple's limitations. (just ask video player app creators) It's only since iOS 9 that add-on keyboards have become available. (but if you use them, the speech-to-text doesn't work anymore) "Desktop" tweaks are still not possible. Some apps, like eg. WiFi analyzers are flat out refused on the App Store.

This really is the biggest downside to iPhone. Like you say, Apple's stuff inherently works better than anyone else's. I've noticed a LOT of annoying things like how the keyboard keeps reverting to the standard iOS keyboard, particularly on the lock screen. I assume this is for security, but it's super annoying. And yeah, today was the first time I wanted to use the absolutely indispensable (for my work) WiFi Analyzer, and realized I didn't have a spare Android device. I think I'll keep my old Nexus 5 in my glove compartment from now on...

Quote:
I can understand the reasons you're buying an iPhone, but those don't apply the me. The watch is still more a gimmick (albeit a nice one, I'll admit) than anything else to me.

This is very much a subjective thing. I absolutely adore having a smartwatch. I had the original Moto 360, and it greatly improved my productivity. The ability to notice an email come in, skim it, then dismiss it or archive it, is actually vital to me. If business is good, I'm out on jobs all day, and when I'm fixing someone's computer I can't exactly sit here and read my email. To be able to quickly triage every incoming email means that when I get back home at the end of the day, I only have a half dozen emails in my inbox, instead of a bunch of junk mixed in among the action items. The rest of the features of the watch are, honestly, just icing on the cake. The whole thing really is worth the price of admission for that one feature.

Quote:
Homekit doesn't impress me. The home automation system I'm using (Loxone) is excellent quality stuff and it's dead easy to set up. There's no real "text" programming involved (though it does support it if you really wanted), everything is done graphically. It's hard to explain in a few sentences, so I'll just say it's simple, yet still very powerful and it works excellently. Loxone does things Homekit can only dream of. It can truly make your house run on autopilot. You can literally set it up not having to ever flick a lightswitch anywhere is your house ever again. Ever. Because the system knows what it needs to do at specific times and situations, and it adapts. (light scenes, heating, ventilation, etc...) And it works! Of course, Home Automation is the only thing Loxone does, so they better be good at it.

It looks really nice, though also very expensive. And yes, HomeKit is extremely basic compared to established and more complex automation systems. But it does nearly everything I want, and does it with a superb interface. Also, believe it or not, there are times when I don't want my house to anticipate what I want it to do, or it can't. I have four different scenes for the main floor of my home. 3 of them are used purely when I feel like dimming the lights a little bit to different levels, depending on my mood. There aren't any prompts beyond my own subjective feel that could tell it that.

Also, my wife and all my family really prefers to have physical buttons and at least remote controls.

Quote:
So that's the reason I'm now leaning towards Android. Maybe I'll make a mistake, I don't know. But I have used Android for a couple of months two years ago, and I remember really liking it. (but then work situations changed and I was back on iPhone again)

I really don't think you can "make a mistake." They're both great platforms, each with their advantages and disadvantages. Like I said in the other thread, it's far more subjective than most people want to admit.