Originally Posted By: Shonky
And when your house burns down, is flooded, hit by lightning or you're burgled or something like that?
The house and interior walls are all brick and masonry, it won't burn down, valuables are in a fire safe in any case. The lake I live next to is now at the highest level since 1910. It's been rising at the rate of about one centimeter a day for the past three months. If it rises another six feet it'll ruin my garden but I'll have six months warning to put my computer on a higher shelf. My house is surrounded by 60-foot tall trees, and my roof-top solar panels are very well grounded, so lightning doesn't scare me. Burglary? That's why I keep a last-ditch emergency backup set off premises.

The time I have to spend maintaining this kludge of a backup system? On average about one minute per week, with maybe a four times a year exception when I retrieve and update the off-premises backups at a cost of 10 minutes of my time. Meanwhile, should I accidentally delete or damage a file, I can recover its backup with a few mouse clicks without loading any recovery software and drilling down through 20 different versions that were saved incrementally to find the one that I want.

Understand that this system would not be workable for someone whose data is valuable and time-critical so that daily or even more frequent backups are necessary. Before I click the backup button, I ask myself if I am happy with the state of my recent changes, and if yes, then off we go. I do not let my computer choose the time or frequency of backups, I choose that myself.

I am not losing any sleep whatsoever about the security of my data. If through some extraordinary circumstance I did lose it all irretrievably, I would be unhappy but it would not be life-changing. There's nothing there I can't live without.

What does worry me is the idea of having my data stored on some stranger's computer over which I have no control whatsoever.

tanstaafl.