Originally Posted By: BartDG
Thanks Matt, I'll keep that in mind! For now the plan is still to simply buy a NVMe adapter and a Samsung 970 M.2 drive though, and then use Samsung's own free Data Migration software (which only works with Samsung drives, but that's fine in this case) to clone the disks, after which I will swap them.

Oh you're definitely doing it the better way. Much easier and half the time.

Quote:
The "old" 512 GB disk I'll then use in a new desktop system I plan on buying in a couple of months. I'll use it as a boot disk.

I've been trying to think about what to do with my old drive. I had been keeping it around as a backup, but at this point it's so out of date that I might as well start over. Maybe I'll get one of the newer enclosures out there and use it as a very fast flash drive.

Quote:
To be honest, I find it a bit surprising that only so few NVMe to USB solutions exist. NVMe has been there now for some years already, no? For SATA to USB, literally hundreds of adapters exist. Strange.

I'd say thousands! Yeah, it's odd, but SATA has been around much longer. More importantly, it's more common to be manipulating a SATA drive. The M2 drives are usually harder to get to and in laptops that aren't designed for them to be as easily replaceable. In my work I dearly miss the days where I could flip the laptop over, unscrew two screws at the edge, and slide the hard drive out. SO EASY! Now I have to remove 12 screws of different lengths, pry the plastic off, remove a few ribbon cables, and hope I get it all back together again without breaking anything!