Resurrecting an ancient thread here.

In 2014, I mentioned that I was going with a MacPro and a LaCie 5big enclosure. Now, five years later, it's had its first failure -- the power supply for the enclosure died, making unhappy chirping noises. Of course, LaCie doesn't offer it any more and all the Google-supplied links to 3rd-party sellers like B&H Photo come up with "sorry, out of stock".

All I could find was a no-name Chinese vendor with dubious reviews. Still, better than pulling the drives and having to scramble with the pain of a forced migration, so I've ordered the no-name power supply. We'll see.

So, in those five years, Apple still hasn't released a replacement for the MacPro I'm using daily, although an optioned-up Mac Mini has basically the same specs and performance. The other change is that the world has moved to USB-C / Thunderbolt 3, and I could get all the capacity I'd ever want with a two-drive enclosure, rather than 5 drives.

Ideally, I'd migrate everything at once -- new drives, new enclosure, and new computer. But Apple's still missing in action on its replacement for the MacPro, and I'd feel dumb if I cobbled something together with what's available today when Apple might well have something attractive coming this year. (Attractive: a computer case with room inside for adding spinning disks!)

Agreement? Disagreement? Off-topic thoughts?