Originally Posted By: Roger
After ~15 years of faithful service, my car's off to the knacker's yard. This means that my empeg's had to come out. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can easily install it in the new car.

For me in a similar situation, my ideal solution might be an empeg-remote style app compatible with Android Auto. So the app could provide the full empeg interface on the in-dash touchscreen.

But I have no idea how one goes about adapting Android (or Apple CarPlay) apps to work in-dash. Obviously it's possible, but..

My second best ideal solution would be to find a suitable empeg-sized touchscreen panel and simply wire up a small micro running Linux to it, and connect that to empeg-in-trunk via a short run of cat5e (including PoE). I really do like this idea, and it's not all that difficult for me to implement. Just gotta find a suitable touchscreen. My thinking is that this solution could be more compact and easier to mount than simply using a real empeg display with the PCATS extender kit.

Third best, yet still pretty good, is Tony's bluetooth adapter. I have one of those here, yet shamefully have never yet powered it up.

Fourth best (because of the effort and wiring issues) would be to have in-empeg bluetooth support, without an external adapter box. I still like this idea a lot, but it doesn't seem to be happening here! smile