Originally Posted By: BartDG
On the other hand, I remember somebody who's done it before, but I don't think it was ever released, let alone an app being created from its code.

It certainly was released, but it's alpha code. What's there works great as a linux app, but probably isn't where you'd want to start for an Android app.

The audio decoding, display, and input are all decoupled, communicating across the network. The decoding is currently provided by libmad, and though there is an android port, you'd probably want something native to Android that supports more audio formats than mp3. The display portion is fairly simplistic -- it was about an afternoon's effort to have display in a VNC server. All of this makes sense, given the goals behind the project -- the decoder, the display, and the input may all be on different machines, but that architecture doesn't really make sense for an Android app.

And, although the menus behave, and visually look like what you're used to on the empeg, they are different menus. The majority of the functionality for dealing with playlists isn't there, there's no equalizer, etc. And this is really where the empeg shines. I like the nostalgia behind the empeg's display, but with technology having moved beyond a 128x32 pixel less-than-grayscale image, it's the functionality that I miss more, not the display.