Short answer: just buy the Crucial drives and stop fussing. smile

Long answer: Samsung has been spending tons of cash marketing their drives as "secure" and "reliable". They probably are, too. But the Crucial ones have been doing this longer, and have always had the "safe" reputation that Samsung craves, at a fraction of the price. Crucial is actually Micron, and makes their own flash chips (as does Samsung).

Kingston for me has always been more of a commodity company, sourcing cheap components, and changing the innards frequently without relabelling or changing model names/numbers. I have a couple of Kingston drives here, but don't trust them enough for important uses. They're probably fine, but who knows.. ?

To this date, the only 100% failure of an SSD that I have had was a Kingston drive. But a friend of mine had a 100% death of an ADATA drive. I suppose this sort of thing is bound to happen once in a while, but far FAR less often than with mechanical drives.

If you really want quality, then hunt out brands/models with "powerfail capacitors". Manufacturers can include these for an extra quid or two if they choose, and IMHO those can make all of the difference for reliability. These basically give the drive's firmware a tiny time buffer in which to ensure things are in a consistent state upon sudden loss of power. That's important when a drive could be moving data and rewriting flash blocks in the background ("garbage collection", anyone?).

Micron/Crucial used to put "powerfail capacitors" in all of their drives, which made them my fav brand years ago. Nowadays some models lack them. TomsHardware reviews generally show which have them and which don't. Some Samsungs also now have powerfail capacitors. And most brands seem to include them in their insanely priced "enterprise" models.

Another consideration is whether or not companies are known for releasing firmware updates to fix bugs discovered over time. Samsung and Micron/Crucial do so reasonably often.

Those are my general opinions on things. Here, my own server currently has these installed:

2TB [0:0:0:0] disk ATA Crucial_CT2050MX R060 /dev/sda
2TB [1:0:0:0] disk ATA Micron_1100_MTFD U031 /dev/sdb
1TB [4:0:0:0] disk ATA Crucial_CT960M50 MU05 /dev/sdc

I have another 2TB Micron drive in reserve as well -- just haven't gotten around to deploying it yet.

Edited by mlord (23/07/2020 13:53)