Wow, that's a bummer. Just out of curiosity, if you put the old 540 back in, does it work?

I've used some of those hard-drive sleds before, like the ones that the MP Shuttle uses. They're not perfect technology. In the past, I've had trouble with the electrical connections in them. Is it possible that there's something physically wrong with the sled on the car-end of it? From your description, it sounds like the one in the PC is working, but it fails when you put it into the car. Trying the 540 again would verify if it's the sled that's failing or not.

I know that this is a forum for the Empeg, and not MPShuttle tech support. I'm just throwing out ideas in hopes that it'll help, since it sounds like you're at the end of your rope.

Ironically, the MPShuttle was one of the products I was looking at while I was waiting for the chance to buy the Empeg. One of the things that turned me off to it was that it didn't look like there was an easy way I could directly contact the manufacturer for tech support. I'd be very interested in knowing how they responded to your requests, because I know some folks who are still interested in some kind of MP3 solution for their car. Please keep us updated on how it's going with the Xeenotech people.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.