this program is absolutely brilliant, I love it, I've got my aphex twin head scrolling around the screen right now.

one thing I found on paint shop pro, here's the steps I go through to make a 4-color greyscale image for RAWerter.
actuall I'll just go through the entire process for people to read.

fire up paint shop pro.
load up your image, first I go to the colors menu, then select "Grey scale".
next go to the colors menu and select "Decrease Color Depths" >> "X Colors" or you can use shift+cntrl+6
this will bring up a new window to select your color options
here is what I selected...
Number of colors: 4
either optimized median cut or standard/web-safe will look fine
in the reduction method select "error diffusion" default is nearest color, then in the options part select "reduce color bleeding"

this will make for a very nice image, selecting the "nearest color" method will make the colors pretty blocky for the image, but the diffusion looks nice, try it both ways and you'll see what I'm talking about.

ok now that you've reduced the colors, make sure your tool is the "arrow" tool, then right click on the image, and select "copy", then fire up emRAWerter and select the "paste" button. Next select "Save RAW" it will ask for the filename, I give mine a "custom_file.raw" that way they all start with "custom" after it is saved what I did was connect to the empeg via hyperterminal and get to the shell, then issue the command "rw" to make it read/write.

then fire up my ftp client, and connect to the empeg, change dir's to the /empeg/lib/visuals directory, and I placed all my custom images in there. now you can close your ftp client.

now within the shell, save off your escher.raw to another filename escher.raw.real seems appropriate. now whenever I want to change logo's I simply have to drop to the shell and copy whatever image I want to use, to escher.raw, then exit out of the shell. and image pan will use the new image.

perhaps on the riocar.org site we could have a repository for all the new image pan images, much like we currently do for the boot logos.

thanks for the great tool
eli