Ok, I just (shaddap!) started using SSI for a couple of pages, one of which is the matrix I posted about in the general forum. I've been meaning to use them for a long time, but never got around to it. (read note at bottom)

Anyway, I'm currently using using a few tags in my matrix pages: 1 to reformat the date string, 1 to print the date of the body-text document and 1 to feed the body-text document at the end of one of the main shtml files.

Currently I have two shtml files: "index" and "small"

The object is to have one page, but with two looks. A regular wide look and one that allows smaller formatting with some different graphics. I'd love to be able to have only the index file containing what's currently in the body and put the size-specific info into different files. Then when a link (or button if it needs to be that way) is clicked, set a variable and reload the page. When the page is reloaded I can use a conditional to check that variable and sub in the correct graphics.

So, my question finally.... What's the easiest way to do this? Specifically, the easiest way to set any type of variable that can both be checked by an SSI conditional and will persist through a document load?

Just while writing this I thought perhaps of using a forum button with a hidden value instead of the hyperlink I currently have at the top left. The conditional should be able to check forms values. Any other ways around this?

Ok, that's it. Pretty simple. :)

Bruno

Note mentioned at top:
I designed an entire semi-dynamic site with javascript and 1 person out of the thousands that visited harped on me for having used jscript. He was only willing to use Lynx and of course that didn't support jscript. Of course it also doesn't support graphics and that was one of the focus points of the site. I just can't figure some people out. :) In any case, SSI can be used to do some of the stuff I had been doing with jscript - but I still think it would be a nightmare to reimplement anything like what I did using only SSI. Ugh.