I'm sure UI development is an on-going process, but I have a few general ideas I thought I might share.

One, the visuals should be completely independant of the music source, so that they operate for the tuner, aux and empeg audio outs exactly the same. Basically, as a background process that has nothing to do with the source. That would make things nice and consistant.

Two, have the information display have three modes: Off, On for X amount of time at begining of track, and On all the time. Also make this consistant between all three audio modes, for consistancy. I personally would use just the second mode of operation, although the other two would be handy depending on situations.

Third, you can make the menu smaller by getting rid of the bounding lines and moving it to the top of the display, and only using the small font. Maintain the scrolling (or have a "Config" menu option that allows people to configure various things including scrolling) and you can have a drop-down menu for multiple-choice items, like information display.

For Playlists, you could do what you do now and replace the menu bar with the playlist names and have sub-playlists appear on the drop-down menu.

I would also avoid using that "small font to large when selected" and just go with the inverse - this saves space on the relatively small display for longer drop-down menus.

If you like, I can draw up my suggestions in a nice GIF image to illustrate what I mean.

As an aside, if you want to see various ways to do fonts and graphics on the display, I suggest you make a trip to your local arcade and take a look at a pinball machine or two - modern pinball machines use a DMD which is *exactly* the dimensions and bit-depth as the empeg unit, offering an excellent source for ideas and techniques. :)