Although I am wholly ignorant of the architecture of the system, it seems to me that there is still some scope here for visuals attached to the AUX/RADIO inputs of the empeg. I assume that the visuals run as a stand-alone module which has some form of input from the MP3 data-processing chain to give them their activity.

Some of the visuals are static images that transform in some way as the input is applied (the large scrolling track info + starfield, bounce box, checkerboard, etc.) Some others rely totally on the input to operate (the oscilloscope, spectrum analysers, Lissajous figures, etc.). This second group, without input, would be very static and pretty worthless. However, the first group would still continue to display without input activity, and hence would be candidates for use with the AUX/RADIO inputs, no matter how "static" they would look. I for one would not object to this, if it could be achieved some way.

Part of the problem of suggesting this (after Hugo has explained) is that I am making the suggestion in absence of knowledge of the architecture of the box h/w, or the signal processing path within the software. For example, is there a switched output stage with three inputs to it (radio, aux, mp3) with the mp3 output coming from a DAC? Where is the activity information fed to the visuals? Are the visuals actually seperate from the mp3 player, or a part of it?

Hugo, would it be possible (without releasing too much commercially sensitive info) to produce a simple block diagram of the hardware and software architecture to give us an idea? Of course, if this is inappropriate, we'll have to like it and lump it... ;^)

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015