FWIW/IMHO, my experience has always been that cassette adapters sound worse than FM transmitters, probably due to the lack of dynamic range inherent in the cassette format. YMMV.

Damnit people! I get an idea , and then get a confirmation that it will work (thanks tanstaafl!), and then, no... you don't want to do that..

JK.

I'm curious about your experience however. I played around with two different adapters after reading this post. The first was a kenwood something or another which immediately brought up this post in my mind. It did not sound very good at all.

Then I tried a panasonic adapter that I had laying around with a thicker cable(I'm a packrat.) This one has a switch for normal/metal. Remembering that the metal tapes had a better range, I put it on that mode and took a chance.

It doesn't sound bad at all. Since I've still got a CD changer installed, I did a little same track testing. It's not quite at the same level as the CD over optical connection, but it's really not bad. Without doing a cd/empeg comparision, I don't think I'm going to notice the difference.... Of course, I'm not in the same quality sound system as I previously had anyways, but I can deal with it until I trade the car.

I'm curious if other people have had the same experience with the tape adapter, or if I just chose either a> a bad track to test with, or b> a really rare and good adapter.

Since I haven't torn it apart to change the cable, I'm hoping it's just a good but NOT rare adapter.