You might try an inexpensive FM transmitter to see if that's better though, before you go to all the trouble of making custom cables and what not. Perhaps some nice board member has one and lives near you?

There is part of the problem. According to one of the installers I talked with, the Mercedes tuner is NOT in the same location as the headunit. Supposedly, it's in the rear of the car near the antenna connected to the optical bus. Finding and putting an injector in this loop adds more of a headache, especially if it's not going to sound good.

Making the custom cable is actually a heck of a lot easier... It's 3 wires with very distinct and separate soldering points. I'm guessing that it will take about 5 minutes to put it together and working once I get the cable. I've already torn the adapter apart to see what I was in for.

Hell, maybe I'll just get the comand system for my car as well. That would be the coolest solution, I just don't know how much it's going to cost me.... Minimum of a couple grand, I'm sure.