The most logical result of turning shuffle off would be to proceed to the next song in the current playlist -ie. if I were shuffling through, say, 5 playlists and I turned off shuffing while listening to playlist 3, I should get the next song in playlist 3 and so on until I either hit shuffle again or playlist 3 ends.

I don't understand why this is so difficult - current heads do this without difficulty. The side effect of losing the list of previously shuffled songs seems a fair loss, since you did turn shuffle off, but how hard is it to maintain two lists?

Simply, it could operate like this: Person goes to main menu, selects playlists, selects a group of playlists. Empeg begins playing according to default shuffle setting (in this case "on"). Thus it has a built list of songs to shuffle and a position marker.

I decide to turn shuffle off, at which point it should build a new list based on the current song's playlist forward, but maintain the previous list and mark off any songs I listen to in the current list as heard from the shuffled list. If I then decide to continue shuffle mode, it could go back to where it left off in the shuffled list, adjusted for any tunes already makred as heard on both lists.

All previous lists are erased if you return to the main menu and re-select a new playlist. Simple.

The idea is hardly radical or complicated.

As far as I'm concerned, the empeg should act *exactly* like any other head unit in terms of low-level operation, such as shuffle.