Learning a foreign language without a native speaker as a teacher should have the "official language form" as the result. ;-)

There's of'en some truth in this....I've met a few Danes who spoke perfect English with an upper-middle class London accent. (ie, not snobby, but very well spoken). One of them was an au-pair on her first trip to England, and no-one could tell that she wasn't English until told. She knew and could pronounce (perfectly) the Really Long and Obscure Words(tm) that usually catch out foreigners who've lived in England for 2 or 3 years. My respect for Danish education was heightened to say the least.

I don't think that the German or French education systems place quite so much emphasis on English. Both of their native languages are spoken outside of their borders, but the Danes appreciate the fact that their language is virtually dead outside of Denmark, and have dealt with that situation practically.

I always find it amusing that there seems to be more non-native English speakers in Europe with an American accent than with a British accent. It's not surprising when you think about it, but there is definitely an irony there.