Agreed. It's terrible when teachers, schools, and textbooks spout false information.

Examples from my own personal experience:

- A grade-school teacher tried to argue with me that "Squirrel" was one syllable. I explained that not only was it two syllables, but the double-R is another grammatical rule indicating the location of the split between the two syllables. After I opened the dictionary and pointed it out to her, she didn't talk to me much after that.

- A high-school textbook claiming that, when you look up in the sky, if a star is not twinkling, then it is a planet. If it is twinkling, it is a star. It claimed that only actual stars twinkled because they generated the light, and that the reflected light from the planets would not twinkle. Fortunately, it was not an astronomy textbook.

- Grade school teacher teaching communism as a positive cultural and political model to impressionable Californian kids. This was before the collapse, of course. I actually got the school to clamp down on him for that one. For that matter, any teacher of Government or Social Studies who chooses to espouse a particular political philosophy without presenting the other side.

- Don't let me even get started with creationism in the classroom. I'll close the thread and point everyone to www.talkorigins.org instead.