*Don't* use the rotary control when in the dimmer menu. The same PIC on the display board deals with buttons, rotary control *and* receiving dimmer commands from the host. It doesn't have any interrupts, and some of this stuff is in tight loops.

Using the buttons to knock the brightness up/down a notch is more reliable.

The rotary control/dimmer interaction is just a design issue, there's nothing we can do about it.

Also, players can boot up dim but then have correct brightness restored as the player runs - this is a hardware issue that I've never been able to track down. It appears to maybe be noise on the dimmer control line before the CPU boots; I have tried sending new dimmer commands earlier in the kernel bootup but I couldn't get any conclusive results.

As far as I can see here, there are 3 categories of problem:

- Boots up dim, but fine when the player runs: known issue with the hardware, not classified as a serious problem as it doesn't affect player operation.

- Rotary control / dimmer interactions: known issue with the hardware. Use the buttons instead.

- Player thinking lights are on/off randomly and setting dimmer to suit. This is probably over-sensitive detection of the glitches on the headlight sense line and we can probably do something about it in the player. Can people suffering from this please describe their setups?

Hugo