Hello,
Wow - an SLK32 AMG!

I have a 2001 SLK320 and am enjoying the fantastic Empeg (60GB yellow + tuner) with the Bose system. It is wonderful to be able to listen to our 350+ CDs randomly or whichever CD our mood chooses.

MB 2001 SLK320 Empeg Install
+++++++++++++++++++++
After much research, I determined that the install was incredibly easy. First note that our SLK has the standard Bose system *without* the integrated Mercedes Command System (MCS) LCD unit. We have the standard in-dash cassette changer with the 4-way control for phone, radio, tape and CD. TeleAid is on-board, but separate from the system. Second, I replaced just the radio with the Empeg - because of the Bose system, the speakers and amp are a matched set - we are quite satisfied with the sound quality of the Bose.

Here is how it all works:
1. The Bose system amp is located under the passenger upper footwell. There is no need to access this.

2. The Bose amp is smart enough to accept both standard radios and RCA-out head units. Note that on our 2001 SLK320 the system is a 2-channel system only (tweeters & mids on the doors, woofers behind the seats). This means that the Empeg will drive the system from the front RCA outputs only.

3. The Empeg uses a standard ISO plug for power and control connections. This matches the SLK's ISO plug perfectly, except for one minor issue. The SLK has a dual ISO plug - one side for power/control & one side for speaker/ampconnections. The speaker plug goes to the Bose amp and will take a radio amp outputs OR RCA outputs - the Bose amp is smart enough to handle both. This dual plug needs to be sawed in half (carefully with a hack saw & wrap with electrical tape to keep each half secure) to allow the 2 SLK plugs to plug in individually to the Empeg ISO plug and a a speaker adapter plug.

4. The good news is that a VW radio adapter - Metra #70-1784 (http://www.metraonline.com/catalog/cat_details.asp?id=109966) will work for the RCA(speaker) connections. Solder 2 RCA plugs onto this adapter to fit the Empeg front channel outputs(refering to the wiring diagram attachment). Note that the power/control part of the VW harness adapter is not used - the Empeg plug connects to the SLK harness.

5. Note that the 2 halves of the SLK harness plug, and the Empeg ISO plug and the Metra harness adapter plug are all keyed to work only in the correct matching order - just carefully trial fit the plugs first.

So to summarize:
1. Solder 2 RCA plugs onto Metra harness adapter# 70-1784 (available from any car stereo shop like Circuit City) - note to use the front 2 wire pairs (wires #3,4,5,6 on plug "B") I soldered the + wire to the center pin of the Radio Shack gold RCA plugs, the "-" to the outer shield.
2. Cover the center console and seats with towels. Pull existing radio from SLK (make sure to record the radio security code). Note that you will need to get special radio removal tools from the MB dealer (flat shims about 2 inches long with finger rings) to remove the radio. Simply insert tools into both horizontal slots at front bottom of radio and pull out radio.
3. Carefully remove dual plug from back of radio. Saw plug in half to make 2 separate ISO plugs (tape for security).
4. Test the setup first : plug the Empeg sled ISO plug into one SLK harness plug (this connects power/control). Plug the Metra adapter into the Empeg front-channel RCA outputs and the other end into the other SLK harness plug (this connects the audio outputs).
Insert the Empeg into the sled, making sure to firmly seat unit. The Empeg should come to life and play through the Bose system. Note that you will need to set the Empeg fader to full front speakers.

Now power down, remove the Empeg and install the sled into the dash opening, being careful with all the wiring. Then reinsert the Empeg.

Teleaid: Note on our 2001 SLK, the Teleaid system still works just fine (I called them from the i(info) button in the center glove box to verify that Teleaid still works).

Hopefully I have not missed something important here. Please send me email with any questions or issues and we can talk on the phone.

I am still drooling about your SLK32 AMG! What an incredible combination it will be with the Empeg on board!

Best wishes,
Bobh
[email protected]

Attachments
74183-1492.jpg (1117 downloads)