I thought I'd start a new thread on this one, since it seems to be important and it's currently buried at the bottom of another thread.

I now take back everything I said about doubting it was a software problem. I am now convinced, as others were before me, that it's a software problem. Jfranke, sorry I accused you of having stuck buttons.

As it stands right now, thanks to a post in that other thread from Corby, I can reproduce the bug intermittently. If I figure out how to reproduct it reliably, I'll officially send it to [email protected] (if needed). Until then, let's discuss it here and see what other folks can do to make it happen.

Now, understand that the steps that I take to reproduce the bug are not things that someone would do in the real world. But we have reason to believe that certain real-world circumstances might also induce the same bug. The goal here is to figure out how to reproduce it "in the laboratory", so to speak, so that the Empeg folks can locate the section in the code that causes the bug. If they can kill it in the "laboratory" situation, then it might fix the bug in the real world.

The bug is a runaway loop where the volume continues to move up or down after the button is released. The interesting thing is, when the volume hits rock-bottom, the runaway loop eats so many CPU cycles that the visualizations start to slow down their frame rate.

Here's how I reproduce it:

1) Disconnect the Empeg from your amplification to prevent speaker damage.

2) Hold opposite commands on the remote and the front panel. For example, the volume down button on the remote and the volume up on the front panel.

3) Get the into a pattern where the two controls are "fighting" for the volume, and you see the volume bar blinking up and down as the two commands jockey for control. You may have to start the process more than once to get this to happen.

4) After that pattern has run several cycles, release both buttons simultaneously. I do not know how long the pattern needs to run before the bug is induced.

5) Most of the time, the volume just stops right there. But intermittently, it "runs away" from you. This is the bug. Funny thing is, when the bug is induced, the new beta-9b "0db stop" only temporarily pauses the volume at 0db. Eventually, it runs away past 0db, too! How about that?

Like I said, no one would ever do that in the real world. But that's just how to induce it deliberately. There are likely other more realistic (although rare) situations that might cause it to happen.

Okay, everyone, get those buttons a-pushin.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.