> Audiocontrol has released a new in-dash processor, that, in addition to it's other features, is
> supposed to make MP3's sound better. From what I understand, Audiocontrol has a pretty decent
> reputation, but I can't help but think this might just be marketing hype.

> Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sounds like your average spatial (stereo) enhancement, although they hint at dynamically altering the frequency response too. Personally, I view this kind of processing as corruption of the audio stream. Once information in the sound has been lost, by compression or otherwise, there is no way of recovering what was intended with absolute certainty.

However, you can predistort the audio so that when it comes out of the speakers and reaches your ears, the distortion caused by the car enclosure is cancelled. An equaliser will do the most for you money. Compensating for any parameters other than frequency response is extremely difficult, computationally intensive, and very critical on listening position and components used.

Personally, I'd spend the extra those marketing gimmicks would have cost on some other part of your system.

- John (from empeg)

(The above may not represent the views of empeg :)