I hate to say it, though, but I have yet to see any objective, statistically significant, double-blind test that proves that vinyl is better than CD.

Well, probably because the complaints levied upon CDs by vinyl enthusiasts aren't based on the technology. The technology of CD is provably superior to vinyl. What they really complain about is the way some CDs are mastered. Before CDs became the primary target platform for music, everyone mastered for vinyl, making sure to compress and EQ the music with vinyl in mind. Essentially, CDs were the for-vinyl analog masters that were sloppily digitized then unconditionally normalized, and that was the extent of their mastering process. So what you got was a bunch of mediocre-sounding CDs that didn't take advantage of the format.

There is a trend towards re-releasing some of those older CDs in "remastered" versions. So far, what I've heard is pretty good. Although I have one remaster (the Fixx's "Shuttered Room") that is too bright and tinny, so even that's not a guarantee that you'll get a good-sounding product.