Well put, Reggie -- I concede the point!

But.... vinyl? How do you keep the needle from skipping when you run over bumps in the road? ;-)

And I really like your point about the third-octave analyser. Have you actually done this? What differences do you see, that is, do you lose frequency response on the low end, or the high end, or is the loss randomly distributed? How about at different encoding rates -- say AudioCatalyst VBR at the High quality setting?

I have gotten conflicting reports about whether an MP3 recorded at a high bitrate can be made indistinguishable from the original CD. The consensus of opinion from empeg users seems to be that it can be done with the empeg, which seems to have unusually high quality audio output.

If you're talking about third-octave analysers, it sounds like you are familiar with IASCA competitions. Have you participated in such? I am hoping that by the time I get my empeg installed I will be able to put the tracks from my IASCA disk into it uncompressed, and play them back as such. And I am really hoping to be able to equalize each track individually. Talk about an unfair advantage...

Oh -- no need to apologize for your English! It is better than many of the native-born English-speakers I deal with on a daily basis.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"