Cool. I want one.

For those who are stuck with MS-Win, you'll be suprised to discover that CF cards do NOT require a special driver under Linux, since they emulate a hard disk drive interface (IDE/ATA) rather well.

The reason for the problem reported here is because of this near perfect emulation.. Linux can sit there probing for a long time for a second (non-existant) drive when a CF card is on the bus (cable) by itself.

Back when this issue first surfaced (about 4-5 years ago), I put a quick hack into the "frozen" kernel to just skip the wait for a second drive under most conditions when a CF card was found, since they were NEVER paired up with another device at the time.

There was also a note left behind to "fix it properly" once the 2.2 kernel got released and the code freeze was lifted. Unfortunately, Linus took FOREVER to release 2.2 (like a year or more after the "freeze"), and by then I had given up maintaining the IDE subsystem for free. So the hack is still there.. ugh.

Anyway, I'll nuke it from the Empeg kernel for Hijack v262, available in 5-10 minutes from now.

Let me know if it behaves any better for you.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (22/04/2002 06:13)