I personally stopped buying AMD when I found out I couldn't play Warcraft 2 on it. (GOD that was a long time ago...)

Also a couple of thoughts... I have a buddy that runs peltiers and water cooling. They work well together but condensation is a problem. He goes through ALOT of descicant (spelling?)

I have a former shipmate that got out of the Navy and started working for intel. The plant he works in is Oregon I think.

Not that I am completely against AMD, Intel has had some dark times as well... Anyone know or remember the scandal with the 386/486 SX/DX scam? The only MAJOR differences between the SX's and DX's were external clock multipliers and the co-processor's enable pin was simply not connected on the SX model. For a while Intel sold 486 SX with an extra socket for upgrading to a DX. It required you to keep the SX chip in place but the upgrade was another 486 chip with the coprosser enabled. That way they were ensured that you would buy two of the otherwise identical processors.

From Upgrading and Repairing PC's 11th edition page 122, 123;

"The 486SX Chip is more of a marketing quirk than new technology. Early versions of the 486SX chips were actually DX chips that showed defects in the math coprocessor section. Instead of being scrapped the chips were packaged with the FPU disabled and sold as SX chips. ...no technical provision exists for adding a seperate math coprocessor to a 486SX system. Instead Intel wanted you to add a new 486 processor with a built in math unit and disable the SX cpu.
The 487SX math coprocessor as intel calls it, really is a complete 25mhz 486DX CPU with an extra pin added and some other pins rearranged. When the 487 is installed it disables the SX chip. The 487SX takes over all CPU functions"
The paragraph goes on to tell us that the 487 chip was a stopgap while they were coming up with the OVERDRIVE chip. That used the same pin config.