Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#1021 - 15/12/1999 22:00 Newbie
JonK
new poster

Loc: Elizabethton, TN, USA
Hi all,

I just registered a couple of months ago, and I just found out about the existence of this BBS. Although I'm quite excited
about the day my number is up on the queue, I won't be that concerned if it doesn't occur for another year (#11537). I need a
chance to get the money together, anyway =).

Anyway, until then, I'd like to get familiarized with Linux so that I'll be able to get the fullest experience with my empeg.
I'm a Sophomore CS major with some C++ and assembly experience, but I've never worked in any environment other
than Windows, and I really would like to hop abourd the penguin-wagon. Anybody have any suggestions as to where I
can start?? At home I'm running Win 98 on a new PIII 450 w/128mb RAM that's already starting to struggle with typical
Win 98 garbage. I'd like to change over. Anyway, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon <><

#1022 - 16/12/1999 02:27 Re: Newbie [Re: JonK]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
Hey Newbie.
if you want to try out Linux ther are one or foure distrubution you might start with, I'l sugest that you try and finde out if some of yours frinds are using Linux and use the same distrbition, as the will be abele to help you on the spot.
If nobody you know use Linux, you have to chouse your self. as I se it you have to chouse betwen:
www.RedHat.com, www.suse.com www.Caldera.com or www.debian.org
I use debian because that it is free and I can upgrade and install ekstra utilities directly from the web (you dont have to download it first) You might want to checkout www.linux.org where ther is a lot of info.
The sekond thing that I will rekoment is that you install linux an a dualboot system, as there is a limit of the amount of games avalierble, and it will also smuthe out the change to linux.
GodtLuck

bye the way what stands CS for ?

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->Ethernet)(USB->COM 1-8)(USB->You name it)

#1023 - 16/12/1999 21:41 Re: Newbie [Re: Mark Petersen]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
CS stands for computer science.
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units