Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14370 - 17/08/2000 14:59 Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
I wonder if anyone could comment on how tricky it is to install an amp/sub setup. I have managed to do a couple of simple installs ( last one was a head unit and CD autochanger in the boot ), but have zero experiance of amps / speaker / sub installs. I would like to have a go myself, not to save money, just that its a second ( treasured )car that I would rather take apart myself, can be off the road for a few days if required, and I want to learn about doing it at the same time.
My initial questions are what amp ( 4 channel ? Will this drive a sub ? Did I read you need variable inputs ? )do I buy, what speakers, what sub. Car is a 1990's Lotus Elan - soft top, door speakers ( could change but limited by size that will fit existing mounts ), rear speakers righ behind seats low down ( good chance to put much bigger - 16x9 - in this panel, but would still be low down and behind seats ), single DIN slot in dash ( current Kenwood head unit - gotta check what inputs / outputs on it ). There appears to be some room under where soft top stores when down - maybe for amp and even sub ( 10" ? ). I'm not looking for the loudest system in the world, but am interested in quality sound. TIA for any advice.

Oh I wish I had not gone for the full 7 speaker cinema setup at home with the 14" sub - now I realise what a great set of speakers can sound like !

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 Red S/No.341

#14371 - 17/08/2000 15:36 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: mardibloke]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I wonder if anyone could comment on how tricky it is to install an amp/sub setup. I have managed to do a couple of simple installs ( last one was a head unit and CD autochanger in the boot ), but have zero experiance of amps / speaker / sub installs.

If installing the CD changer involved running the wiring into the boot yourself (instead of using the car's built-in wiring), then you already have the necessary skills.

But if it was some kind of plug-into-the-existing-wiring setup, then you probably should talk to a pro installer, because that part's tough if you're not prepared for it. Dismantling portions of your car and running cables through the nooks and crannies is not for the faint of heart.

My initial questions are what amp ( 4 channel ? Will this drive a sub ?

If you have 4 speakers, then you need 4 channels. If you have 4 speakers plus a subwoofer, then you need 5 channels. They make 5-channel amps that will do 4 speakers plus a subwoofer. If you're doing this all from scratch, that's a good choice.

The other option is to purchase a self-powered subwoofer. But that would probably be more expensive than getting a 5-channel amp since you're starting from scratch.

Did I read you need variable inputs ? )

All good amplifiers will have a gain control on them to tune their input. If the amp doesn't have that control, I'd suggest looking elsewhere for an amp with a proper feature set.

what speakers, what sub.

Talk to a stereo shop to answer that question because there are a lot of different answers. If you can, talk to Crutchfield on the telephone. I don't know where you're located in the world or whether they can ship to where you are.

Make sure that your salesman knows that the speakers, amplifier, and subwoofer will all be going into the same system, so that they can be sure all of the power ratings match reasonably.

( good chance to put much bigger - 16x9 - in this panel, but would still be low down and behind seats ),

I think you got distracted by our conversation about widescreen movies. Surely you mean 6x9 speakers?

The only tricky part about doing an amp install yourself is that it introduces the possibility for ground loops and engine noise if you don't do it properly. Make sure you run heavy-gague ground wire and power wire to the boot and ground everything at the same point.

#14372 - 17/08/2000 15:55 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: mardibloke]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Isn't your Elan a Fiberglas body car?

That opens up whole new worlds of grounding scenarios...

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#14373 - 18/08/2000 06:59 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: tanstaafl.]
mardibloke
addict

Gulp, it is indeed a plastic car. I did however have the whole car in pieces to run cables for the autochanger in the boot. Have not run speaker / amp cables before. Knowing how much fun it was to run the autochanger cable, the thought of running new speaker cables to an amp location and then RCA's from amp to head unit, sounds very time consuming.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 Red S/No.341

#14374 - 18/08/2000 08:40 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: mardibloke]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Gulp, it is indeed a plastic car.

Don't worry about that too much. Since you'll already be running your own wiring, then an additional ground wire to the amp won't be a problem.

I did however have the whole car in pieces to run cables for the autochanger in the boot. Have not run speaker / amp cables before.

That's pretty much the same as running the cables for the autochanger. In fact, you may be able to re-use some of those very cables. If you've already been through that once, you'll do fine with the amp installation.

#14375 - 21/08/2000 08:29 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: tfabris]
mardibloke
addict

So I deduce from the comments that its more about being able to take your car apart ( and put it back together ), along with being brave enough to drill holes and mount amps/speakers ?

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 Red S/No.341

#14376 - 21/08/2000 08:33 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: mardibloke]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So I deduce from the comments that its more about being able to take your car apart ( and put it back together ), along with being brave enough to drill holes and mount amps/speakers ?

Right. And if you purchase speakers which fit the factory locations, you don't even have to do any drilling.

#14377 - 21/08/2000 09:04 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: tfabris]
mardibloke
addict

How about the business of four or two speakers ? The rear locations for speakers, whilst has plenty of room ( could get 6x9" in ) is real low down behind the seats. I wonder if best to use this space for twin 10" subs and spend a lot of money on just a pair of really good door speakers ?

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 Red S/No.341

#14378 - 21/08/2000 10:18 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: mardibloke]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The rear locations for speakers, whilst has plenty of room ( could get 6x9" in ) is real low down behind the seats. I wonder if best to use this space for twin 10" subs and spend a lot of money on just a pair of really good door speakers ?

That's going to be up to you, depending on how much money you want to spend and how much trouble you want to go to for making/finding subwoofer enclosures that will fit the location.

But, in theory, the low-down placement would make full-range speakers perform less than optimally, so your idea for subs+really good door speakers sounds like a good one.

#14379 - 30/08/2000 13:51 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: tfabris]
mardibloke
addict

I have now taken advice from three car electronics shops for fitting amps and speakers to my car. First two quotes were nearly 4k ukp and I really felt they "saw me comming". The last place quoted 2k ukp. Even 2k sounds rather a lot to me and wonder if this is about right. I am pretty happy with the shop that quoted 2k as they appeared to know more what they were talking about and even came out and measured up the car. They quote as follows : Pair of JL VR525cs fronts ( 250ukp ), pair of Phoenix Gold x5 2300 amps ( 700ukp ), pair of JL 8W6 subs ( 320ukp ) for rear, misc connectors and cables ( 125ukp ), plus 600ukp labour which would include custom door builds, and two rear custom builds for amps/subs.

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 Red S/No.341

#14380 - 30/08/2000 14:11 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: mardibloke]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The last place quoted 2k ukp. Even 2k sounds rather a lot to me and wonder if this is about right.

I don't know what the pounds-to-dollars exchange ratio is, but it sounds to me like you're getting soaked. In the US, you can get a fantastic set of 4 or 6 speakers, a subwoofer, and the amp(s) to drive them for about $1000 US.

Now, that doesn't include installation labor, but from earlier conversations in this thread it sounds like you're comfortable with doing the installation work yourself.

#14381 - 30/08/2000 15:47 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: tfabris]
mardibloke
addict

I am over in the USA on vacation in the next month or so, hence once option is to pick the speakers and amps up over there. Anyone know the going rate for the hardware I mentioned would be over that side of the Atlantic ( I'm visiting Mickey in Florida ). Although unless there is a big saving I'm keen just to get the empeg installed sooner rather than later. 2000ukp is approx 3000usd. I am not sure I want to tackle the job now, I could do the wiring and take the car appart, but apparently I need custom builds for the doors and behind each seat. I think this is best left to the professionals. Will also ask at a few other audio shops as if a little cheaper I would be tempted to just hand the car over and let them have the car for a few days

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 Red S/No.341

#14382 - 30/08/2000 19:50 Re: Virgin Amp Installer - Lotus Elan [Re: mardibloke]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Will also ask at a few other audio shops

I would make certain to ask Dominic at Cambridge Car Audio. His credentials on this bbs are impeccable, to say the least.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"