Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#150712 - 30/03/2003 17:27 Re: All's Fair [Re: rob]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
World Peace has been in alpha for several weeks - not one of our greatest success stories. If only we had open sourced it.

What? *Peer-reviewed* World Peace???

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#150713 - 30/03/2003 19:10 Re: All's Fair [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I'm SO tempted to reply like this. hehe

#150714 - 30/03/2003 19:39 Re: All's Fair [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

I'm SO tempted to reply like this. hehe

Phluccccch! (man, how do I get this piece of Jarlsberg out of my sinus?)

Brad, no fair posting (I'M NOT WORTHY!) Onion links while I'm innocently eating crackers and cheese. I was behind on my (I'M NOT WORTHY!) Onion. I also really like the "Missile Command" (looks like Missile Command, anyway) graphic on that issue's front page.

There was a certain element of self-mockery about that "In 10 or 15 years, we will look back fondly on the days when there were only a few thousand Middle Easterners dedicated to destroying the U.S." that made me wonder where they were going until I hit <PgDn>.

I also really liked "Sheryl Crow Unsuccessful; War On Iraq Begins"

#150715 - 30/03/2003 20:05 Re: All's Fair [Re: jimhogan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Did you notice how "Previous Issue" is all articles that are WAY old?

#150716 - 31/03/2003 08:14 Re: All's Fair [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Did you notice how "Previous Issue" is all articles that are WAY old?

Yeah, I wondered if I hadn't seen the "Hammurderer" before.... maybe the got tied up in Madison peace marches and had to cover their bases with old material...

....I didn't renew my paper subscription this year, so I can't know whether they skipped one or what. Odd.

#150717 - 31/03/2003 14:00 Re: All's Fair [Re: jimhogan]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
And I don't want to speak for Tony and/or misrepresent him, either. I was just throwing my impressions out there. For *me* (and that's just me) being mad about the process that got us to war while ultimately being for this particular war once underway (if that's a fair summary) is a bit puzzling under the circumstances.
I understand your confusion. And yes, my view is more "trees" than "forest." Whatever got us into this, we're now in it, and we need to accomplish our objectives. Once it's done, there will be plenty of time to worry about which particular set of Arabs now hates us even more than they did previously.

Your mammoth post from a few days ago paints a very good picture of all of the ulterior motives and right-wing shadiness that has put us where we are now. I don't disagree with any of your conclusions, and I share many of your fears about the future, and how we'll look back on this war. I just don't see the point of wallowing in a fatalist view of things to come. With so much on the line right now, I am doing my best to see ways to turn this into a net gain.

Or maybe I'm just really, really naive.

#150718 - 31/03/2003 22:06 Re: All's Fair [Re: tonyc]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Thanks, Tony,

Your mammoth post....

Yeah, I'm angling at getting some writing work on a piece-rate basis!

and I share many of your fears about the future, and how we'll look back on this war. I just don't see the point of wallowing in a fatalist view of things to come. With so much on the line right now, I am doing my best to see ways to turn this into a net gain.

Much of my mammoth posting is just "thinking out load" -- trying to figure out what I think. I don't want to wallow, really, but this situation is, IMO, about as big a clusterf*ck as I can imagine, so I feel the need to thrash around a bit, see if I can pop any wishful-thinking balloons I have left.

Net gain? I don't see that happening. What I am wondering a lot about - wallowing over a bit - is how we as a country can manage some serious damage mitigation. I have the feeling that will have to involve 2 things: 1) Europe and 2) a (US) regime change (like some new President drop-kicks the Rumsfelds, then flies around on Air Force One in 2005 and says "Hey, that last guy was nuts. Can't we all just get along?")

The chances of this last happening? Not very good, I'm afraid, but I'm going to think a bit about what Democrat (Ewwww!) I could vote for.

#150719 - 01/04/2003 12:59 Re: All's Fair [Re: tonyc]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
I am doing my best to see ways to turn this into a net gain.

I am affraid it is too late for any gain, my friend, except perhaps for Halliburton and their ilk. And this is the price.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#150720 - 01/04/2003 13:51 Re: All's Fair [Re: jimhogan]
Saddam_Hussein
new poster

Loc: Iraq. (so you think)
Yikes, I have gone through a whole bunch of typing without mentioning Saddam, how bad he is, how bad and sneaky his supporters are, and how much nicer the world would be if he were gone.

Hey! Now that's just not fair at all. I'm not such a bad guy if you get to know me. I have feelings too you know.

-SH

#150721 - 01/04/2003 13:54 Re: All's Fair [Re: Saddam_Hussein]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Yeah yeah, look what happened with Chris when Satan wouldn't get back with you...

#150722 - 01/04/2003 14:01 Re: All's Fair [Re: Saddam_Hussein]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I have feelings too you know.

Not for long.

#150723 - 01/04/2003 14:15 Re: All's Fair [Re: Daria]
Saddam_Hussein
new poster

when Satan wouldn't get back with you...

Yeah Satan, come on guy, why wont you return my calls?

I love you...

-SH

#150724 - 01/04/2003 14:46 Re: All's Fair [Re: Saddam_Hussein]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Yikes, I have gone through a whole bunch of typing without mentioning Saddam, how bad he is ....

Hey! Now that's just not fair at all. I'm not such a bad guy if you get to know me. I have feelings too you know

Alright, you forced my hand. You SUCK! You REALLY SUCK!!

....but if you think you are going to suck me in to chasing you around this BBS reminding you that you suck, you can forget it! Ain't gonna happen. I'm too smart for that! I got better things to do!!

#150725 - 01/04/2003 14:47 Re: All's Fair [Re: Saddam_Hussein]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Yeah Satan, come on guy, why wont you return my calls?

Well, how about maybe even in Satan's eyes, YOU SUCK!

#150726 - 01/04/2003 18:06 Lucky Girl! [Re: jimhogan]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

I earlier in this phrase "or unless you're the mom of dad of a MIA" linked to a sad story about a MIA girl from West Virginia. NPR a bit ago reported a prisoner rescue, and 3 minutes ago mentioned that it is her.

I wonder what the chances are that she'll re-up???

Jessica, go be a teacher. Live a long and happy life.

#150727 - 01/04/2003 18:20 Re: All's Fair [Re: Saddam_Hussein]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I noticed in your profile that you like quilting. Maybe someday we can share quilting tips

MKI #017/90

whatever

#150728 - 01/04/2003 20:55 Re: All's Fair [Re: Laura]
DonnyR
new poster

Loc: The East Coast
Maybe someday we can share quilting tips.

Ms. Laura. Laura, is that correct?

Well, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I have it on good authority from Tomm....several friends that Saddam's DSL connection and other Internet infrastructure have been significantly degraded. Iraqi forces are barely achieving 28.8 and are having serious DNS difficulties. I'm not sure you'll be hearing anything further about quilting from Mr. Hussein. In fact, I suspect that these BBS posts don't really come from Saddam at all and that he is in fact dead. Yes, dead. Who KNOWS when these posts were actually typed?

#150729 - 01/04/2003 23:12 Re: All's Fair [Re: DonnyR]
Saddam_Hussein
new poster

Who KNOWS when these posts were actually typed?

You guys are so funny! Of course these posts come from me...see look, I'll hold up today's paper That proves it right?

-SH

p.s. Laura, I would love to share some quilting tips with you. As soon as I can get my "little situation" at home figured out. Call my cell!

#150730 - 02/04/2003 05:55 Re: All's Fair [Re: Saddam_Hussein]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Call my cell!

I'll try giving you a ring once the smoke clears a bit over there, bad for reception you know.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#150731 - 02/04/2003 07:24 Re: All's Fair [Re: Saddam_Hussein]
blitz
addict

Loc: Texas
As soon as I can get my "little situation" at home figured out.

I could never figure out why you didn't just take your $6 Billion and run. Pretty soon you're going to be worth $4.50. Can you clue us in?

#150732 - 02/04/2003 10:09 Re: All's Fair [Re: Laura]
DonnyR
new poster

Loc: The East Coast
I'll try giving you a ring once the smoke clears a bit over there

Ms. Laura,

What a remarkable coincidence. Remarkable. I have always enjoyed quilting during the off hours. I thought I would call Sad to arrange a small get together, but I seem to have misplaced his cell number. You wouldn't happen to have it on you, would you?

(I still think he's dead.)

Thanks a bunch,

Donny

#150733 - 03/04/2003 03:23 Re: All's Fair [Re: jimhogan]
bonzi
pooh-bah

...but I'm going to think a bit about what democrat (Ewwww!) I could vote for.

My favorite US presidential candidate's statement on GWII.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#150734 - 03/04/2003 07:50 Re: All's Fair [Re: bonzi]
blitz
addict

My favorite US presidential candidate's statement on GWII.

With rhetoric like that, he is unelectable. I don't understand why "He has been recognized of his advocacy of human rights in Burma, Nigeria and East Timor". Why is Iraq not on his list?

More stuff from his web site:

He not only believes in sustainability, he practices it. Congressman Kucinich is one of the few vegans in Congress, a dietary decision he credits not only with improving his health, but in deepening his belief in the sacredness of all species.

#150735 - 03/04/2003 08:13 Re: All's Fair [Re: blitz]
bonzi
pooh-bah

With rhetoric like that, he is unelectable. I don't understand why "He has been recognized of his advocacy of human rights in Burma, Nigeria and East Timor". Why is Iraq not on his list?

I know he is unelectable, but what exactly is wrong with that particular statement? I think that idea of lobbing the hot potato back into UN hands is close to brilliant. As for human rights abusers, competition is really tough; I agree with Mr. Kucinic that Saddam Hussein, however hard he tries, hardly makes top five .

He not only believes in sustainability, he practices it. Congressman Kucinich is one of the few vegans in Congress, a dietary decision he credits not only with improving his health, but in deepening his belief in the sacredness of all species.

Ahem. That would explain why he looks so pale. Sustainability really has nothing to do with veganism.

However, I have an impression that Kucinic believes what he preaches (which, of course, by itself does not tell that much about his suitability for president). Even his much publicised 'conversion' from 'pro-life' to 'pro-choice' is believable: he realized that 'pro-lifers' are merely 'anti-choice'; they routinelly oppose all measures that would actually lower the number of abortions (like sex education or distribution of free condoms). But that is really off this topic.

#150736 - 03/04/2003 08:33 Re: All's Fair [Re: bonzi]
blitz
addict

I agree with Mr. Kucinic that Saddam Hussein, however hard he tries, hardly makes top five

Congressman Kucinich strongly supports efforts to prevent violence at all levels - including animal abuse. Research confirms a strong correlation between animal cruelty and violence against humans. Studies show that violent offenders frequently have childhood and adolescent histories of serious and repeated animal abuse. It has also been found that animal cruelty often occurs in households experiencing family violence - child abuse, spousal abuse and elder abuse.

I wonder if Hussein abused animals as a child. Probably "Saddamized" 'em.

Kucinich has sponsored legislation concerning the sale of dog and cat fur and references that it is impossible for consumers to distinguish dyed dog and cat fur from wolf, fox and mink. I bet the dogs and cats are happy about that but you got to wonder how the wolves, foxes and minks feel about it.

#150737 - 03/04/2003 10:34 Re: All's Fair [Re: Saddam_Hussein]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Saddam, don't forget those warnings about not leaving your empeg in your car. Although I doubt that it's thieves that you need to worry about.

BTW, I've put together a playlist that you might enjoy;

If You (Michael Gira)
Lie To Me (Depeche Mode)
One More Time, (Daft Punk)
It's Over. (Level 42).
No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) (Jocelyn Brown)
Go Into Exile (Missing Foundations)
or There Will Be A Reckoning (Waxwing)
with No Surrender. (Bruce Springsteen)
Beware Of Those (JT the Bigga Figga and Mac Hall)
Cruise Missiles (Fischer-Z)
and Tanks Rolling Into Town. (Howe Gelb)
War Is Coming, (Six Feet Under)
Destruction (Little Richard)
...Of Your (Monkees)
Old Regime. (Steely Dan)
Feel The Pain; (Damned)
We Bring The Heat (Crooked)
We Bring The Shake (Motorhead)
We Bring The Noise (Scooter)
We Bring Tha (Mr. Real)
B.O.B. (Bombs Over Baghdad) (Outkast)
You Are (Dolly Parton)
the Scum Of The Earth (Kinks)
Save The Planet, Kill Yourself (Chris Korda)

Have A Nice Day (Bing Crosby)

Note To Self: (Divine Comedy)
Must Bring Own Weapon (Playing Enemy)

Edited by genixia (03/04/2003 11:52)

#150738 - 03/04/2003 11:46 Re: All's Fair [Re: genixia]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Man, how could you forget "B.O.B." (Bombs Over Baghdad) by Outkast. A must on any Saddam playlist!

#150739 - 03/04/2003 11:53 Re: All's Fair [Re: tonyc]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

An oversight, corrected now.

#150740 - 03/04/2003 11:55 Re: All's Fair [Re: genixia]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Nice. Though I hear that electricity is out in Baghdad now, so maybe Saddam is going to have trouble logging into the BBS...

#150741 - 03/04/2003 12:02 Re: All's Fair [Re: genixia]
Saddam_Hussein
new poster

I've put together a playlist that you might enjoy

Damn! I thought I had a lot of time on my hands! Thank you so much for the thoughtful playlist. I will be sure to check out the Outkast song, I'm sure it will bring back lots of old memories.

-SH

p.s. Don't believe everything that you hear on the "news"

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >