Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#151424 - 29/03/2003 15:02 Nightmare of nightmares... Rio Remote stolen...
jbrinkerhoff

!@#$@!@!... Keeping profanity to a minimum online at least, certainly not in real life.

I just got back from a week in NYC - staying midtown in the Sheraton. Took the empeg, but it spent the entire time safe in it's bag in the room safe. I forgot to bring the remote into the hotel, but figured what the heck since it is in my glove box and who would want a just a strange remote??

Well, the car spent the entire week parked in the Sheraton's garage, and on the way home - 3 hours from manhattan, I decided to pull out the empeg and play it. Slap it in, plays, look for remote a few minutes later and DAMMIT! Its gone... I panic, and think "did I hide it somewhere else?" I stopped at a gas station and searched the car, and my luggage. Then called Sheraton. They will NOT help, as the ticket CLEARLY states "No responsibility for any items left in vehicle".

I am now home, several more hours later, and have thourally searched everything, even though I know it was in the glove box... Its nowhere.

Lesson(S) learned:

1) NEVER leave ANY part of your empeg in your car.
2) Shoulda bought a spare remote like I was going to at the fire sale.

Now, the question - does ANYONE have a spare "real" empeg or riocar remote (V2 or V3) they will part with at anything close to a realistic price? PM me or email me at jbrinker at syr dot edu if you have one you would sell.

Thanks and to all those out there like me who thought, who would even KNOW what that WAS to steal - don't be fooled. Keep your remote safe...

-Jeff

#151425 - 29/03/2003 17:14 Re: Nightmare of nightmares... Rio Remote stolen.. [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Hmm...sounds strange to me. Did you leave your car unlocked, or were the keys with a valet? Car thieves aren't generally known for their neatness - you'd usually notice if someone had broken in.

For sanity, check to see if there's any way that the remote could have slipped behind the dash. Many cars don't have sealed glove-boxes.

#151426 - 29/03/2003 17:36 Re: Nightmare of nightmares... Rio Remote stolen.. [Re: genixia]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Question: are these available from Cambridge anymore, or are they all gone?

#151427 - 29/03/2003 17:59 Re: Nightmare of nightmares... Rio Remote stolen.. [Re: pgrzelak]
jheathco
enthusiast

Loc: Mission Viejo, California
I tried to get one awhile back too, as I lost mine... it sucks though, you just have to get the Kenwood remote I guess, and it doesn't support long-button presses.

#151428 - 29/03/2003 18:53 Re: Nightmare of nightmares... Rio Remote stolen... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
DeadFire
addict

I'm not sure what you consider a reasonable price, but there happens to be an auction for a RioCAR remote on eBay at the moment.

#151429 - 29/03/2003 20:39 Re: Nightmare of nightmares... Rio Remote stolen... [Re: DeadFire]
jbrinkerhoff

AHHHHH, dammit again... Missed it. $36 would have been more than reasonable. Oh well, I guess unless someone on here wants to part with one, I will just have to keep an eye on ebay.

Oh, and the parkng lot is one of those places where the parking attendant takes your car onto the freight evevator and you dont see it until you check out. They leave them parked with the window down, and keys in them. Lovely security. (the garage itself is "secure" from outsiders, however the attendants have unlimited access.

I'm 10000% sure it was in the glove box, as I remember specifically putting it there before leaving for NYC. I intended to lock the glove box, however I forgot (Not that it would have mattered, as the attendant has the key - no valet key on the Grand Cherokee).

-Jeff

#151430 - 29/03/2003 23:52 Re: Nightmare of nightmares... Rio Remote stolen... [Re: jbrinkerhoff]
jasonc

In reply to:

I will just have to keep an eye on ebay.

Too bad theyre not serialized. Then at least you would know you were buying back your own remote.